A new “Cinnamon 1.8″ certification was created today and all themes available for Cinnamon were reviewed.
Certification is easy to pass and we encourage all theme artists to update their theme.
Status of the themes:
The following themes were certified 1.8:
- Elementary Luna Mod
- Plain and mostly Square
- Tyr himinn
- Tyr jord
The following themes almost got certified:
- Android Holo (outdated clock applet, misses Flashspot support)
- BlueAndBlack (outdated clock applet)
- Dark_Void (outdated clock applet, misses Flashspot support)
- EBro (outdated clock applet, misses Flashspot support)
- Glass Fedora/Mint/Ubuntu/Wheezy ((outdated clock applet, misses Flashspot support))
- Metro (misses Flashspot support)
- Stella Maris (outdated clock applet, misses Flashspot support)
- Void (outdated clock applet, misses Flashspot support)
The following themes didn’t install properly from Cinnamon Settings and were not reviewed:
- Minty Colors
- Frosty Mint
- Windows 7 Basic Light
- Aero Cinnamon theme pack (3 versions)
- Light Dark Balance
- Ambiance Crunchy
- Energreen (Full Pack)
All other themes failed the certification.
Requirements for the 1.8 certification:
Here’s what’s required for a theme to be certified 1.8:
- It should install properly from Cinnamon Settings
- It should provide a thumbnail picture
- It should provide styles for desklets
- To test: Add the “clock” desklet to the desktop, go to “General Desklets settings” and set “Decoration of desklets” to “Border and header”. The theme should provide a border around the clock.
- It should provide up to date styles for the sound applet
- To test: Play a song in Banshee, open the sound applet (which should show the multimedia buttons and information about the song), make sure the layout is fine and the seeker slider in particular fits properly within the applet.
- It should provide support for the new “Flashspot” feature
- To test: Add the “Digital photo frame” desklet on the desktop, click on its “configure” button in Cinnamon Settings, and click on “Highlight”. The desklet should briefly highlight itself.
How to update a theme:
- Read mtwebster’s post about the Cinnamon 1.8 theme updates at http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/05/cinnamon-1-8-theme-notes/
- Read mtwebster’s post about the packaging guidelines at http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/05/cinnamon-1-8-applet-desklet-extension-and-theme-packaging-guidelines/
- Look at the changes made to the Linux Mint theme to make it 1.8 compatible: https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-themes/commit/cd22aa7c984a2127fbbb123f6c2c5e6b6352f57c#diff-4
The added styles for desklets, sound-seeker and flashspot are the most important.