MDM’s distro.conf

MDM now allows distributions to define their own default configuration in /usr/share/mdm/distro.conf.

For any given configuration key, the value is looked up in the following files and in the following order:

• /etc/mdm/mdm.conf (set up by the user with or without mdmsetup)
  • /usr/share/mdm/distro.conf (provided by distributions)
  • /usr/share/mdm/defaults.conf (provided by MDM)

This is obviously great news for distributions, but it’s also good news to users as distributions are now able to set their defaults without hacking the MDM package (which introduced differences between Git versions of MDM and distribution packages) or worse the /etc/mdm/mdm.conf file.

Capture du 2013-09-03 00:12:41

If in the past you upgraded MDM and you were surprised to see it default to the Circle GDM theme for instance… well, this fixes it :)

14 thoughts on “MDM’s distro.conf

1. Reply GamingOnLinux.com Sep 3, 2013 12:21

Hopefully more distros will start to use it then, great work!

2. Reply Kirk M Sep 3, 2013 13:34

Now that you mention it, MDM has already replaced LXDM in Manjaro 0.8.7 and it looks pretty much like the default set up. Either way, it works fine so it’s good news about “dist-conf”.

On a bit of off-topic note…Manjaro is to Arch what Linux Mint is to Ubuntu and Debian and it appears the devs are taking a lesson from what the Mint devs have been doing over the years while remaining true to their own distro. This is a good thing indeed. Unfortunately, the current community edition of Manjaro/Cinnamon leaves much to be desired (it’s both Gnome 3/gnome-shell/Nautilus, etc and Cinnamon 1.88/Nemo, etc–doesn’t work). Once Cinnamon 2.0 is released I have this pipe dream that the Mint devs get together with the Manjaro devs/community and collaborate on a pure, properly configured Manjaro/Cinnamon 2.0 edition.

I would be in heaven.

Now, back to reality. ;-)

• Reply Dannie S Sep 5, 2013 18:36

I like Kirk M’s idea. I think other distributions that use MDM or any Mint software should try to work together for the better”ment” of Mint tools. Manjaro can be one of these distributions. I think the developers have a similar vision of how GNU/Linux serve its users.

3. Reply troyka Sep 3, 2013 20:24

What is a mdm? And what would one do with it?

4. Reply zagortenay333 Sep 5, 2013 08:13

Now if only I had that basic mdm template I was asking for ___.___

5. Reply mrmen Sep 8, 2013 22:11

Hi clem,

I wanted to suggest something but I was afraid it would not be a good idea for everyone but i would like it none the less..

not unlike KDE animated desktop would it be possible to feature some sort of radically different way of animated desktop themes within the ‘Backgrounds’ menu?

We know HTML can be used for animated logins so why cant it or something similar be used for animated backgrounds?

I would also like a few (nothing major) additional ‘effects’ in ‘Effects’ one such thing would be an openGL smoke effect across the desktop that could not go into the menu bar or windows to create some eerie atmospheres :)

Sorry if they sound a bit daft but with some desktop animation it brings the experience to life after all the consoles do this smoke effect and animated tiles, as does windows 8 and all smart phones & im sure apple has something similar coming so just a flat 2D non animated experience is getting quite old now

6. Reply Kirk M Sep 9, 2013 16:04

Clem – I have a question about Cinnamon version 2.0 acting as an independent desktop environment. I mostly understand how Cinnamon 2.0 will be independent from the Gnome 3 version number as far as “cinnamon-session” and “cinnamon-settings-daemon” are concerned but I’m not sure how it becomes independent from “clutter” and “GTK3″(updates). Could you possibly shed some light on that?

• Reply clem Sep 9, 2013 17:24

Hi Kirk,

You’re right, it will still rely on GTK, Clutter and a few other libs. What we’re replacing in Cinnamon 2.0, other than a few libs, is the backend. In Cinnamon 1.8, if you perform a “ps -ef | grep gnome” you can see all the GNOME backend, the runtime processes which make the non-visible part of GNOME. Cinnamon 1.8 communicates with these over dbus for instance, that’s why it’s tightly linked to a particular version of GNOME.

You can compare Cinnamon 2.0 to MATE or Xfce if you want.. it’s still built on GNOME techs (gtk, gsettings..etc) but it’s no longer a visual layer on top of a GNOME desktop.

7. Reply Fumblefan Sep 12, 2013 21:11

One more question about Cinnamon 2.0 – if “it’s no longer a visual layer on top of a GNOME desktop”, does that mean that my Sapphire 7790 video card is going to work just fine without proprietary driver (to say the truth, it does not work as it should with latest driver from AMD, neither)? In other words, will there still be a “running in software rendering mode” problem, when CPU works all the time at 60-80% and my cursor blinks from time to time? I love Cinnamon very much and I am pretty sad because I’m unable to use it every day (currently using Mate)… Both Nadia & Olivia Cinnamon x64 worked out-of-the-box with my old 5750 card (so did Maya, too), there was no need for AMD drivers, except when I wanted to run some games…

8. Reply Fumblefan Sep 13, 2013 08:42

That’s sad… Anyway, thanks for the reply!
    And keep up the good work, because, at the moment, Cinnamon is the best desktop/laptop experience in the world!!! Cheers!