We’ve put a bit of focus on Nemo in the past week or so, trying to address some long-standing issues with it, as well as implementing a couple choice upstream improvements:
- Improved the Open With dialog – you can now add custom mime-type handlers on the fly, that will show up as recommended programs or default. You can accomplish this by browsing to a specific executable, or simply typing one in. Things still may change with this as we get feedback, but I think it’s pretty darn flexible at this point.
- Improved handling of the file operation progress dialog. You can now close the dialog entirely (X) and it will turn into a dynamic icon in the system tray, showing overall progress with a circular icon. From that icon you can get additional information via the tooltip, and you can click the icon to restore the full progress dialog.
- In the List View, you can now right-click a column heading to add or remove visible columns quickly.
- Also in the List View, Nemo will try to avoid having a horizontal scroll bar by truncating the name column when necessary.
- The default columns displayed in the Trash and Search results views will be a bit more appropriate for those views.
- Middle-clicking a tab will now close it.
There are a number of Action improvements as well, since the last time it was discussed:
- Added first selected file display name token.
- Added parent display name token.
- Added separator definition for exec file list.
- Added quote type for exec file list (single, double, backtick) – this will enclose each file name in a selection list with the selected separator.
- Added action dependencies (searches for file in path)
- Added conditions – ‘desktop’, ‘removable’, gsettings boolean key, dbus name
- Added “nodirs” to extensions options.
- Added ability to show actions in places sidebar and treeview sidebar.
There are quite a few new actions packaged with Nemo – check them out, as well as the sample file, for more details on these improvements.
- Two new extensions were added – nemo-preview, and nemo-media-columns
- Fixed nemo-python for Mint 15.
A couple things we’d like to get in before 2.0:
- Performance improvements
- A queueing system for file operations
- Places listed in the Move To/Copy To menus.