Cinnamon 2.0 feature-freeze

The following projects are under feature-freeze:

• cjs
  • cinnamon-desktop
  • cinnamon-translations
  • cinnamon-session
  • cinnamon-settings-daemon
  • cinnamon-control-center
  • cinnamon-screensaver
  • nemo

Pull requests are being reviewed for Muffin and Cinnamon at the moment with the aim to feature freeze them this week.

Feature-frozen projects are labelled “2.0.0″. They continue to receive bug fixes on the 2.0.x series (for instance, cinnamon-settings-daemon and cinnamon-control-center are already at 2.0.1).

A couple of things are planned before Cinnamon 2.0 is considered “stable” both in terms of bug fixes, testing and localization so please don’t jump on 2.0.0 on your prod. system.

After all planned items are done and the team is happy with the quality of the DE, announcements will be made for the official release of Cinnamon 2.0.

The new DE will be then featured in the end of November within Linux Mint 16 Petra, and later backported to Linux Mint 13 Maya LTS and LMDE.

35 thoughts on “Cinnamon 2.0 feature-freeze

1. Reply Entelechy Oct 3, 2013 04:42

I suppose this may not make it into 2.0, but … would it be possible to have an overview screen just for the active application, like in Compiz-MATE?

2. Reply Tom Oct 3, 2013 16:37

Hallo Clem,

Would it be possible to add key combinations in case cinnamon or linux mint freezes, to make it unfreeze or restart or so? Or to have a key combination to open the system monitor, so that one can end programs to free up RAM, to make the system unfreeze? Just like in windows.

At the moment, when my system starts to lag and freeze, I quickly have to do crl-alt-del, but I only have the option to “log out”. This helps, but I can imagine there can be some additional options added to this key combination (like also the predecessor mentioned…to have a screen with active applications, i.e. “system monitor”)

Thank you and I look forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Tom

3. Reply Anand Oct 3, 2013 17:31

I think this works, Alt + F2 and in the po-up window, type R and press enter. But if run window does not work / pop-up, unsure what to do.

4. Reply Tom Oct 3, 2013 21:11

Hallo Anand,

Yes, alt+f2 and then r helps, but if linux or cinnamon is already half-frozen, then this does not work. As soon as I spot the first symptoms of my system being about to freeze, I quickly press ctrl+alt+del and “log out” and then log back in. HOWEVER, sometimes i miss the “right moment”, and do not press “ctrl+alt+del” or “ctrl+alt+r” in time, and then it’s too late and I cannot press ANYTHING and have to reboot my ystem by pressing my phisical restart button on my computer…

Here’s an idea:
    It would be good to have some kind of “process kill” PANIC BUTTON key or so…kind of like a “red panic button” that you can press quickly to kill all processes and restart cinnamon before it’s too late!

:-)

• Reply Anand Oct 4, 2013 02:34

Hmm. I get it and have been in that situation myself. Check if this applet helps. It may when we know the culprit application that caused the crash.
      Should we rather focus on reducing those scenarios? ;-)

• Reply collinss Oct 4, 2013 06:02

Anand, the problem is that often cinnamon freezes because of something you are doing in cinnamon, or because of a bug in cinnamon itself, and has nothing to do with a third-party application. And even if it were an application that caused Cinnamon to freeze, an applet would not help, nor would any of the other usual methods. This is because applets, desklets, the run dialog and even the logout dialog that you get on pressing ctrl-alt-del are part of cinnamon and hence are also frozen. Often when that happens to me, I can’t even open a terminal. The only recourse then is to manually restart the computer, or hit ctrl-alt-f1 and mess around with a command prompt.

• Reply Jon Brett Oct 4, 2013 10:30

When such a crash occurs (and Alt+F2) is not working. You can restart cinnamon using the good-old virtual terminal.

1. Switch to a virtual terminal (e.g. Ctrl+Alt+F2) and log in with your username/password.
        2. Start a new instance of cinnamon on display 0 ( cinnamon –replace -d :0 & )
        3. Switch back to your X server (Ctrl+Alt+F7)
        4. If Cinnamon started fine go back and log-out of the Virtual terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F2 then run ‘logout’)
        5. Switch back to your X server Ctrl+Alt+F7

Using the above steps has saved me a lot of hassle when Cinnamon crashes since it keeps your windows open etc.

If something more fundamental goes wrong you may have to restart mdm, but that will loose all your X windows :(

• Reply d. Oct 10, 2013 03:16

Alternatively, if you have long enough fingers, you can press

Ctrl-Alt-SysRq-REISUB

to reboot (ie. you need to hold Ctrl, Alt and Sysrq the whole time, and type R-E-I… etc.)

This will reboot the computer and will work almost always even if no other keys work

Ctrl-Alt-SysRq-REISUO will shut down the computer

5. Reply Tom Oct 4, 2013 16:46

Let’s make our linux even more AWESOME! Let’s select some of those many useless keys on the keyboard that we can press when the system is about to freeze or when nothin works anymore, in order to reboot or unfreeze! :-)

6. Reply Tom Oct 4, 2013 16:52

And what I and some other user also posted somewhere else on segfault:

What I keep constantly missing is the possibility to rename a file or folder by slowly double-clicking the file!
    At the moment we have to right-click and choose “rename”, which is quite daunting….
    Therefore, PLEASE include the “slow double-click” funtion, in order to rename files and folders!

I look forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Tom

• Reply Mani Oct 4, 2013 17:13

I don’t agree, this was the worst behaviour ever. Every time my computer lagged and i wanted to double click a file i had to rename it. I am glad, that this only works on windows!!!
      For renaming you always will have to use the keyboard so i prefer the button F2 to rename files.
      If this slow double click ever makes it in nemo, please make it a “feature” we can switch off

7. Reply Tom Oct 4, 2013 17:35

OK, but at least you agree that we need alternative “rename” functions, which is good! And yes, I also think it is a good idea to inlude “slow double click” and you F2, so that the user can adjust settings somewhere.

Excellent, thanks for your support!

8. Reply Tom Oct 4, 2013 17:40

However, lots of former windows users are used to slow double click, and I have never heard of F2 to rename files….also, why bother and move the left hand, when you can just use the mouse… ;-)

Tom

• Reply Anand Oct 5, 2013 04:24

F2 shortcut is there in Windows as well. Please dont hijack this thread, these are best discussed in forums.

9. Reply Tom Oct 4, 2013 17:45

And you can adjust the double click speed in mint settings anyway, in case your double click is too reactive or slow or whatever, so that it fits your comfort level ;-)

10. Reply Vivek Kumar Manikandan Oct 7, 2013 10:15

awesome news. cant wait to get my hands in cinnamon 2.0

11. Reply Jon Brett Oct 7, 2013 11:45

Hmm.. my comment from Oct 4, 2013 10:30 is still awaiting moderation.

What is the criteria for needing moderation?

• Reply clem Oct 7, 2013 11:53

Sorry for the delay. Afaik, once you commented successfully it should be automated then and no longer require any manual approval.

12. Reply Jason Oct 8, 2013 22:44

Are there any screenshots of what Cinnamon 2.0 will look like? I’m anxious to see if the system tray got cleaned up a bit with some nicer spacing between items. Thanks!

13. Reply Anand Oct 9, 2013 13:45

Super :-)Now that makes us look forward to 2.2. :-)

14. Reply KGGy Oct 10, 2013 17:29

Will backporting be done only for Mint 13 LTS, or for Mint 14 as well? Thanks!

• Reply clem Oct 10, 2013 18:41

This will land in Mint 16, and LMDE and be added to the “backport” section in Mint 13 LTS.

15. Reply Rudekaiso Oct 11, 2013 15:03

hi am new to all this ,,, but where/when can i get 2.0 please??? i cant even find 1.8. now learning….

16. Reply Tom Oct 12, 2013 17:00

Clem,

As you can see above, a lot of users including me posted something having to do with unfreezing and restarting the system once it totally freezes..
    And EACH of them reported some weird key combinations that one has to type in som command line that you need to know how to get, once everything freezes etc. etc. etc.

SO WOULD IT NOT BE EASIER TO ASSIGN ONE KEY ON THE KEYBOARD THAT UNFREEZES EVERYTHING, ONCE NOTHING WORKS ANYMORE? A “RESCUE” BUTTON?

;-)

Look forward to your reply.

Tom

• Reply clem Oct 15, 2013 21:54

Tom, freezing isn’t a feature we can configure or disable… it’s something neither you or the developers want to see happening. When it happens we can’t unfreeze things because we no longer control the desktop :)

17. Reply Tom Oct 12, 2013 17:03

One button to unfreeze OR to safely restart the system.

18. Reply James Nov 10, 2013 21:54

Cinnamon 2.0.10 sound settings crash with this:

$ cinnamon-settings sound
    Unknown module sound, using cinnamon-control-center

** (cinnamon-settings.py:8283): WARNING **: Can’t load fallback CSS resource: Failed to import: The resource at ‘/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css’ does not exist

/usr/lib/cinnamon-settings/modules/cs_user.py:112: Warning: g_object_unref: assertion ‘G_IS_OBJECT (object)’ failed
    file_icon = Gio.FileIcon().new(file)
    Could not find bluetooth module; is the cinnamon-control-center package installed?

(cinnamon-settings.py:8283): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_list_store_get_path: assertion ‘iter->stamp == priv->stamp’ failed

__init__ took 1655.256 ms
    *** BUG ***
    In pixman_region32_init_rect: Invalid rectangle passed
    Set a breakpoint on ‘_pixman_log_error’ to debug

Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    $

19. Reply Arief Setiawan M Dec 17, 2013 20:34

Hello Clem.
    I have been upgraded Cinnamon 1.8 to Cinnamon 2.0 using backport repository on my Maya. Then, after reboot system, Cinnamon crash and force me to use fallback mode