Mint 16: How to upgrade from RC to Stable (KDE edition)

Apply all safe updates (level 1 and 2)

• Run the Update Manager
  • Click on the “Clear” button
  • Select all Level 1 and Level 2 updates
  • Click on “Install Updates”

Remove OpenSSH

The OpenSSH server was present in the RC and needs to be removed. Open a terminal and type:

Re-add the Network applet to the Panel

The name of the network applet changed, so if you take the level 3 update for the package “plasma-nm” your network applet disappears from the panel on your next login.

We recommend you take the update and simply re-add the Network applet to the panel:

• Right-click the little arrow going on from the systray
  • Select “System Tray Settings”
  • In “Display” make sure “Network Management” is enabled
  • In “Entries”, set “Network Management” to “Auto” or “Always Visible”

11 thoughts on “Mint 16: How to upgrade from RC to Stable (KDE edition)

1. Reply Lee Dec 21,2013 12:51

Hey, I have some issues upgrade from Linuxmint KDE 15 to LM KDE 16. Actually is there a specific way to go about it or not really?

I have so far:
    ~ > lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: LinuxMint
    Description: Linux Mint 16 Petra
    Release: 16
    Codename: petra

But, KDE is still at 10.5:
    ~ > kded4 --version
    Qt: 4.8.4
    KDE Development Platform: 4.10.5
    KDE Daemon: 4.10.5

and more stuff didn’t got upgraded – I’ve switched in apt sources from raring to saucy and olivia to petra – however dist-upgrade wont install any new package just remove a bunch (including mint* and linux* related packages).

Any tips would be appreciated.
    Thanks

• Reply clem Dec 22,2013 15:41

Hi Lee,

You need to dig into APT and find out why it won’t upgrade them. Try upgrading individual packages which are kept back to see if there’s a breakage somewhere.

• Reply Lee Dec 22,2013 16:03

Eventually I got all packages upgraded now – however, can’t login via KDM/MDM either:

Dec 22 17:52:26 my-Dell kernel: [ 1596.981003] kded4[3761]: segfault at 38 ip 00007f6a4e84ccae sp 00007fffb7008d20 error 4 in ld-2.17.so[7f6a4e841000+23000]
        Dec 22 17:52:26 my-Dell kernel: [ 1597.159227] kcminit_startup[3766]: segfault at 38 ip 00007f6a4e84ccae sp 00007fffb7008ce0 error 4 in ld-2.17.so[7f6a4e841000+23000]

Qt: 4.8.4
        KDE Development Platform: 4.11.3
        KDE Daemon: 4.11.3

What would you suggest? Thanks!

• Reply Lee Dec 22,2013 16:08

Just to add, this is from the kdm.log and ‘dbus’ related packages:

• Reply Julian Dec 22,2013 21:16

And this is exactly why the devs made the decision to not officially support upgrades like this and tell users to do a clean reinstall of new versions. ;)

You can still upgrade manually but there will be breakage you will need time and knowledge to fix. Glad to see you managed though! Cheers

2. Reply Empty Dec 22,2013 18:20

Hello Linux Mint Team:

I have been using Mint KDE 16 rc since it became available and loving it compared to Kubuntu 13.10, Chakra 2013.09, and OpenSuse 13.1. This morning I upgraded to Stable with no problems. Thanks for keeping my favorite Desktop Environment (KDE) running great “right out of the box”. One question, is there an easy way to install KDE SC 4.12?

Thanks again.

Edit by Clem: Yes, fire up mintsources and add the following PPA: “ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports”

3. Reply Lee Dec 22,2013 21:01

All went well after all, turned out some plasma* related packages were actually missing. LinuxMint KDE 16 nice and fast! Thanks for it!

4. Reply Marc Dec 26,2013 23:50

Thanks for this fine release.
    I was running the RC and did all the updates, I guess I am now running the official version, is this correct ?

One bug remained, when I want to hybernate,there is a popup asking if I want to hybernate, and when I click yes, the laptop does not hybernate but the session is locked instead.
    My guess is that some code got mixed up in the hybernate script, how can I fix this ?

Best rgds,

Marc

5. Reply newbiewon Dec 28,2013 09:54

Fred G., Clem, all the gang,

Your instructions for the upgrade “RC to Stable (RC KDE edition Mint 16) were really easy and worked really well.

What made me feel good is that I have gotten over my fear of the terminal and can follow directions comfortably.

So congratulations on a great release!!!

newbiewon

6. Reply Shuttleworthless Jan 10,2014 18:09

Glad for ubuntu lovers, but speaking of upgrades… UP8 for LMDE is taking ages…

7. Reply Gordon Lack Jan 25,2014 04:15

>>> apt remove –purge openssh-server

So, after I’ve done that how can I connect *to* the system using ssh?