Cinnamon 2.6 and MATE 1.10

Some quick news about 2 of your favorite desktop environments :)

• Cinnamon 2.6 reached feature-freeze. Its stable release is planned for the end of this month. It could adopt the 2.6 labels early and get into the Romeo repositories for Rebecca and Betsy though.
  • The MATE 1.10 release is just around the corner. Upstream, only a few components are yet to be labeled 1.10. Packaging for Betsy and Rafaela started and is 57% complete.

20 thoughts on “Cinnamon 2.6 and MATE 1.10

1. KDB May 17,2015 09:25

Very good piece of news!

Looking forward to the release announcement of Cinnamon 1.6. A lot of good things are expected there :)

2. Dejv May 17,2015 12:23

I wish there was somebody who would maintain debian cinnamon packages… we still have 2.2 :(

3. syko May 17,2015 21:15

MATE is awesome! I would not want to be without it.
    My desktop, my way!

As always, the dev team is working hard, enriching our computing
    experience. We all appreciate very much.

Please, continue. ;-)

4. Keith May 17,2015 22:45

If Cinnamon 2.6 is all so added to the Cinnamon Nightly PPA i can install Cinnamon 2.6 along with Nemo 2.5.1 very simply and easy that will be good im not sure if there is any update to Mdm as well

• JosephM May 18,2015 08:10

When Cinnamon gets tagged at 2.6 I would assume nemo will as well. If you’re using the nigthly builds you are essentially using Cinnamon 2.6 already.

5. C May 17,2015 23:33

Clem,

I LOVE Cinnamon! And thank you and all involved for it.

However, I have a large performance problem which is described by others here: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/2465

and here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=208&t=185691

It occurs on all of my machines. I am on Intel graphics on each one.

Ubuntu / Unity / Compiz is DRAMATICALLY smoother and faster.

Is this known to the developers? It has been an issue for me since day one, and it pains me as I would much, much rather use Cinnamon, but I use compiz-based environments because of the choppiness with it.

• moo May 21,2015 13:05

Hi,

Oh yes it would be very nice to have this implemented. Something to manage workspaces (as spaces on macosx 10.6) and define on which workspace will go each application and remember settings.

6. Beto May 20,2015 05:10

How can I close a notification in Cinnamon?

7. Eric May 24,2015 01:36

Hi, I am really happy with Cinnamon! Great work by Clem and many others! Until recently I worked at Microsoft and just did not get (take) time to work with linux. A few months ago I did my first Linux install. It took only about 10 minutes to install Linux Mint with Cinnamon, and it worked perfectly on my 3-monitor system. The system has been responsive and stable since the first install with daily use.

8. Hunkah Jun 9,2015 21:50

OK the only real missing feature of Cinnamon that I have been missing since the days of Gnome 2…

Point and Click theme editor.

Can this be a Cinnamon 2.8 feature request?

Something like this:

Only a little more detailed and better coded. I would love to help if I can.

9. Gaetano Arena Jun 11,2015 19:07

Cinnamon without the ability to drag links to the panel and availability of Netspeed is not worth of consideration!

10. Stan Jul 6,2015 16:31

Linux mint 17.2 cinnamon, the cinnamon 2.6 does not work on 11 year old computers. The desktop blacks out. No problem with Linux mint 17.2 mate.