Cinnamon 2.6 reached feature-freeze on the 15th of May and was recently given 2.6 labels. As we’re still bug-fixing it and it’s all very fresh out of the oven it wasn’t officially released/announced yet.
Early builds were added to the “Romeo” section of the LMDE 2 Betsy and Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca repositories.
If you want to beta-test Cinnamon 2.6:
- Launch Software Sources (mintsources) from your application menu
- Tick the “Unstable packages (romeo)” checkbox
- Click the “Update the cache” button
- Use the Update Manager to upgrade the Cinnamon packages (don’t forget the cjs and muffin packages)
- You’ll be amongst the very first non-developer users of Cinnamon 2.6… so you WILL find bugs
- If you can’t afford to break Cinnamon or risk to experience regressions, please do not beta-test Cinnamon 2.6 and wait for its official release instead
- When finding a bug, please make sure to specify the version of Cinnamon you’re using and confirm that the bug was not present in 2.4 (all bugs are interesting to us, but more than anything we’re very interested in potential regressions)