You probably saw the tags on github already. I’m happy to make it official and to announce the release of Cinnamon 3.4.
I’d like to thank all the developers and designers who worked not only on Cinnamon 3.4, but in the redesign of the Spices website and the maintenance of the Cinnamon Spices themselves.
Here are the most notable highlights of this release:
- Support for mozjs38 (CJS 3.4 uses mozjs38, CJS 3.2 uses mozjs24, Cinnamon 3.4 is compatible with either CJS 3.4 or CJS 3.2)
- Support for additional Wacom devices (in particular, devices with no erasers or with only one button)
- Multi-process Settings Daemon (each plugin now runs in its own separate process)
- Cleaner session EXIT phase (this phase used to timeout after 1 seconds, it is now immediate)
- Desktop grid
- Separate processes for Nemo and the desktop handling
- Simpler date formats for last-modified column in list-view
- Wildcard support in file searches
- Desktop actions in panel launcher
- Ala Firefox support for middle-click and Ctrl key in Nemo navigation buttons to open new tabs
- Theming engine improvements for systray and margins
- Additional configuration options for the screensaver
- New list widget for spices settings
- More information shown in spices about dialogs
- Support for lightdm-settings and manage-systemd-units in System Settings
- File manager (inode/directory MIME handler) selection in Favorite Applications
- Better support for the configuration of mice acceleration and sensitivity
Cinnamon 3.4 also features a ton of fixes and refinements.
On the spices side of things, the maintenance was moved to Github and the Cinnamon team is now actively involved in the debugging of applets, desklets, extensions and themes. Support for Cinnamon 3.4 changes is added by the team itself.
We now also benefit from a brand new spices website, with support for Oauth (Google, Facebook, Github authentication), and direct integration between our Spices Github repositories and your Cinnamon desktop:
I hope you’ll enjoy this new version of the Cinnamon desktop.